Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Korea visa experience...

.. is the most tedious visa-application process I have been through! You'd
think I am getting really bored to start writing about such stuff. I am
surprised too. BUT NO~~ NO!

Well I am going to study away in Korea, so naturally, I need to get a Korean
student visa. To apply for a student visa, I need to prepare a few documents:
my passport, bank statements, Olin's proof that I am a current student and
KAIST acceptance letter.

So i brought everything (or so I thought) and left for the embassy. After an
hour of traveling and another hour of standing in the line, I realized that I
didn't bring my passport. Now that is very much my own fault. I left it in
another bag after going to Batan. First trip, foiled.

The next day, I made my second trip. This time, I made sure I brought my
passport. After another 2 hours, I got to the counter and presented my
documents. However, the guy took a look at it and told me that the bank
statement will not suffice. I brought a bank receipt stating that
there is X amount of money in the account, enough to pay for my Korea expenses.
But according to the officer (implicitly), I might have borrowed the money for
the day, put it there, so I may be a hobo with not a cent of possession.
Apparently, I need to bring the transaction history of a bank account for the
past 3 months, on an original bank-issued paper. Now this is starting to make
no sense, because my dad (who is paying) banks entirely online. He doesn't have
any old-fashioned-paper-record-accountbook-crap.

I do not get it. The US embassy accepted the same account printout fine 3
years ago. They issued me a 4 year visa to study in Olin without any qualms
about my financial status. Now, half the country uses online banking and Korea
embassy wants a 3 month bank-printed record. Just Great.

After much last minuted, bank-running troubles. I have the bank
statement(s). If you think this is ridiculous, read on!

So today, I made my third trip. Now, I brought my passport, I got the
correct, 3 months worth of bank statements. I got the rest of the documents and
I thought everything would be fine. But NO! Guess what the guy told me?! He
says my birth cert is invalid/unacceptable. The ORIGINAL, signed, stamped,
dated document is unacceptable. The only difference between my birth
certificate and the next one is that mine is issued in China. It even has a
page of translations in English. But the guy only recognize a Singapore birth
certificate so he wants me to present him with a Singapore birth
certificate!

I have a China-issued birth certificate due to the very blatant reason that
I was born in China. I was born in China, hence I have a China-issued birth
cert! What an amazing relevation! I tried multiple times to explain the fact to
the guy and he seemed insistent on getting me to get a Singapore-issued birth
certificate. (according to him, I can go to the high court?!?! and prove I am
my parents' child??!?!, and get something issued.)

I think I would have to give up on my trip to Korea altogether, if his
supervisor had not walked out at that point. I gave up on the visa guy and went
to talk to the supervisor instead. Within a minute, the supervisor accepted my
visa documents. What a crazy day.



2 comments:

  1. I got a bit excited when you said you're thinking of coming back, but I'm glad the visa thing worked out in the end. Visas are always painful; to go to Belgium I had to get a notarized signature from a doctor that I didn't have Syphilis or Bubonic Plague.

    Hope you're having a good holiday! Keep up the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Rui, glad that it worked out eventually though. Hope you have a wonderful time in my home country :-)

    ReplyDelete